Amino Acids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Hair Growth
When it comes to our health, the term “essential” is exactly how it sounds: a ‘must-have’ for optimal health.
Unfortunately, the recent surge of "health" influencers has blurred the lines between what our body wants and what it actually needs. Consumers get so bogged down with the newest "must-have" wellness product on the market that the essentials can become lost.
But we like to keep things simple. Let's talk about two essential things for your health: omega-3s and amino acids.
Why Do We Need Amino Acids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Our body can be deficient in amino acids and omega-3s without even knowing it. We need amino acids and omega-3s to be at our optimal health. These components are also crucial for our hair growth.
We lose about 50 to 100 hairs a day, and a new one is supposed to take its place. But how can there be any new hair when our follicles lack the nutrients to grow? Soon enough, the hair loss continues until there's a noticeable balding spot or receding hairline.
So, it's not just about showering often and using hair oils. Nutrition also plays a key role in hair growth.
Did you know? Our bodies do not naturally produce omega-3s or the 9 essential amino acids. They must be consumed in our diet if we want their benefits for hair growth. And that's backed up by this Harvard study. Among others, consider supplementing with Omega-3s, biotin and amino acid supplements for hair growth.
Amino Acids and Hair Growth
Amino acids and hair growth are an equation we should all get behind. Let's break down the many benefits amino acids offer for better hair health:
- Promote Keratin Production: Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and keratin, which is what our hair mostly consists of. They store and transport the nutrients into each cell, including the cells responsible for maintaining the health of our hair.
- Improve Hair Elasticity: They heal and repair the tissues in our cells. Amino acids like cysteine can improve hair elasticity, so you can say bye-bye to hair breakage and split ends.
- Prevent Hair Loss: Certain amino acids, like arginine and lysine, can even help prevent hair loss. These acids strengthen hair follicles and improve circulation to the scalp. That means thick, healthy and strong hair.
- Stimulate Hair Growth: If you've already faced a lot of hair loss, amino acids can still help. They encourage the growth of new hair follicles and can speed up the hair growth phase.
- Repair Damaged Hair: Amino acids can be great for those who have seen their fair share of bad hair days. They repair damaged hair by restoring moisture, shine and overall hair health.
Omega-3s for Hair Growth
So, is omega-3 good for hair loss? Yes! In fact, it’s crucial for hair health. In fact, a lack of essential fatty acids and hair loss go hand in hand. Here is what its benefits can include:
- Reduce Inflammation: Inflammation in the scalp is one of the main culprits behind sudden and heavy hair loss. Luckily, omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties that can calm your scalp.
- Promote Scalp Health: Healthy hair is only possible with a healthy scalp, which is why there’s nothing better than Omega-3s for hair growth. Omega-3s enhance the scalp's health by assisting with the perfect environment for hair growth.
- Increase Hair Thickness: Many also ask: is omega-3 good for hair loss from thinning? These fatty acids can increase the diameter of every single hair strand. This way, your hair appears thicker and more voluminous.
- Prevent Dryness: Hair loss is inevitable if your hair has turned brittle due to inadequate moisture. Omega-3s prevent this by maintaining the natural oils on the scalp and hair, preventing dryness.
How to Add Amino Acids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids to Your DietA lack of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids can compromise the functioning of your hair follicles. That means incorporating these essentials into your diet is a must.
A few great sources of amino acids include:
- Meat (beef, chicken, pork)
- Fish (salmon, tuna)
- Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese)
- Legumes (beans, lentils)
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, sunflower seeds)
- Tofu and other soy products
- Whole grains (brown rice, oats)
- Seafood (shrimp, scallops)
Meanwhile, you can get omega-3s from:
- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines, trout)
- Fish oil for hair thickness
- Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Algal oil (for vegetarians and vegans)
- Krill oil
- Cod liver oil
- Edamame (young soybeans)
There are multiple sources of amino acids and omega-3s, but one food is outstanding in both: chia seeds.
They are packed with around 20% of protein. They are also the richest plant source of omega-3s at 5g per serving. Plus, they contain 18 amino acids, including all nine essential ones. It's safe to say chia seeds are a powerhouse!
Of course, we can't forget that they are rich in copper, zinc, and iron, which are also essential for hair health. There are multiple ways to add chia seeds to your diet, and their benefits extend to heart health, too.
Here's how to incorporate this power food into your daily meals.
- Chia Pudding: Mix two or three tablespoons of chia seeds with milk and add a sweetener and a dash of vanilla extract. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, and in the morning, you'll have a delicious chia pudding. Top it off with fruits, nuts, or granola.
- Smoothies: Sprinkle chia seeds into your morning smoothie. They'll soak up some of the liquid and make your smoothie creamier.
- Salads: Sprinkle chia seeds on top of your salads for a nutritional crunch. That’ll give you the perfect dose of omega-3 fatty acids for hair and skin health.
- Egg Substitute: You can mix chia seeds with water to form a gel that works as an egg substitute in recipes. A vegan delight!
The journey to healthy hair isn't just about using the right shampoos and conditioners; we must also look within. You can enjoy thick, shiny and strong hair by giving your body a much-needed daily dose of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. The omega-3s work on stopping hair loss, while amino acids and hair growth go hand in hand.
Our topical HAIRMETTO® Hair Restoration KIT with Titanium Scalp Dermaroller for Hair Regrowth is packed with these hair health essentials, giving your hair the nourishment it needs to grow. Hair health has never been simpler!